The Church in the Dark Ages Worksheet
chapter nine, pp. 484-494
Fill in the blank
1. The revival of Byzantium was the work of a new dynasty founded by _________________. He was from ________________.
2. This new emperor created a ____________ that lasted for ____ centuries. Each emperor had his ________ crowned in his presence. This was meant to end disputes over _____________ to the throne.
3. Up until this time, unpopular Byzantine monarchs had their _____ gouged out (at best) or were ______________ (at worst).
4. Meanwhile, the ______________ continued to dominate the Mediterranean and the great ______________ and ____________ servants pressed for feudalism.
5. The _________ invented the idea of pan-Slavism and almost defeated ________________.
6. The Macedonian emperors concentrated on improving __________ codes, _____________ the government, and skillfully managing ______________.
7. The Macedonian emperors ran a $ ___ million surplus annually.
8. In terms of trade, Byzantium cultivated tie via the _______ and ________ Sea with ________ Asia and ________, as well as __________, which sent timer, furs, and slaves.
9. The Byzantine emperor thought his own interests were identical with those of _________________.
10. Still, Byzantium was plagued not by moderation in al things, but by _________________.
11. One of the most important events during this period is the conversion of the ______________.
12. This group of people had three main states: _____________, ________________, and _______________.
13. Russia originated in the conquest of ______________ warriors and their establishment in two capitals: ___________ in the north and ___________ in the south.
14. The evangelization of the Slavs began in earnest under ________________.
15. The first Slavonic land won for Christ was ________________.
16. In 845 A.D., fourteen _________ princes were baptized.
17. When Rome was unable, _________ sent missionaries to Bohemia. The first two were _____________ and _______________.
18. Cyril invented the ancestor of the modern ____________ language in order to evangelize the _______________.
19. The Pope gave Cyril control of the whole of modern ___________ and most of what is now ________________.
20. By 863 or 864 A.D., King _____________ of Bulgaria was baptized. By use of ______________ as a threat, the ___________ followed his example.
21. When missionaries came to Bulgaria, they invented the _________ alphabet, the forerunner of the ___________ alphabet.
22. Christian Bulgaria, with its ___________ culture and _________ liturgy and rites, linked Byzantium with other Slavonic peoples. As a result, the _________ were converted between ___ and ____ A.D., and the ____________ were converted about 1000 A.D.
23. A mission to the ___________ began when they tried to attack _____________, Norse-style, in 861 A.D.
24. In 945 A.D., the Russian Princess __________ embraced Christianity.
25. Her grandson, ____________, was converted in 987 A.D. and married _____________, the sister of the Byzantine king.
26. The Russian Church attached itself to the dissenting ____________ Church. This put Russia outside the historical framework of _______________.
1. Briefly discuss the lives of three Byzantine emperors at this time (see pp. 487-488).