The Church in the Dark Ages Worksheet
chapter eight, pp. 443-449
Fill in the blank
1. The Norsemen were from ______________ Europe.
2. A __________ of others was A furore normannorum libera nos, Domine! (translated as From the fury of the Northmen deliver us, God!).
3. The Northmen were divided into three groups: the ______________, the _______________, and the ______________.
4. Norse society was divided into two main groups: the ____________ element and the ________________.
5. The authority of Norse kings was based solely on _____________ and _______________. They were essentially the leaders of a group of _______________.
6. The Norse began to become aware of the _________________, __________________ lands with __________ rulers beyond the vast expanses of empty sea.
7. The Norsemen had a ____________ beyond compare elsewhere at this time.
8. The expeditionary leaders of Norse voyages are known as ___________________.
9. The Norsemen sought out ______________ with dauntless _____________ and audacity. Even _______________ and ________________ were said to work in their favor!
10. The Norse also used skillful ___________ tactics. They carried their boats on their ____________ when necessary. They undertook long _____________, they were skilled ______________, and could construct ________________ for defense or offense.
11. The Norse first pillaged a ___________ in ____ A.D. It was in _____________ in Northumberland, England.
12. After 830 A.D., the Norse established bases in the islands of the __________, the _______________, the ____________, and in ____________ and ____________ also.
13. The Norwegians chose __________ and Ireland for their main targets.
14. On the Continent of Europe, the attack was principally waged by the _______________. Cities such as _______________ and ________________ in Spain were attacked. ______________ was besieged four times in forty years, pillaged ______ times and burned __________.
15. Some rulers of Europe paid the Norse a ____________ to persuade them to depart, but others did ___________.
16. As the Norse swept into Europe, there was a rush to move ___________ out of harms way.
17. The Norse could attack the monasteries because they were ________________.
18. Unlike the Norse, the Germanic Barbarians of the fifth century did not _________ out the Church. The barbarians were semi-____________, semi-______________, while the Norse were solely ___________________.
19. Even as the Norse invaded, the Church tried to ________________ them.
20. St. _____________ was an early missionary to the Norse of Denmark and Sweden.
1. Describe the Viking trakkar.
2. Discuss a few cases of resistance to the Norse invaders.
3. Discuss the early attempts to convert the Norse.