The Church in the Dark Ages Worksheet
chapter six, pp. 326-332
Fill in the blank
1. The Arabs were _______, and therefore ________ of the Jews. The Jews were descended from ________, Arabs from ________.
2. Each Arab tribe in Arabia worshipped __________, formidable local spirits.
3. The leading trading center in Arabia was __________. In the city was a _________ housed in a square-shaped building called __________.
4. There were colonies of _________ and _________ Christians in Arabia.
5. In Arabia, __________ was the chief god. Already there were monotheists (called ____________ ) who were neither Jews nor Christians.
6. In founder of Islam, ____________, was born in __________ and was a member of the powerful ___________ tribe. He was _________ very young and raised by his ____________.
7. The prophet of Islam worked for a wealthy widow named _________ as a _________ driver along the trade routes of Arabia. He later ________ her.
8. After Mohammeds ideas were largely rejected by the people of ________, he left for the city of _________, which was renamed _________ (or the city of the prophet). This event was known as the _________, or emigration, and it took place in ________ A.D.
9. After his emigration, the prophet was known as the leader of the Muslim community, or as al-___________.
10. Once he arrived in Yatreb, Mohammed stopped ________ and began to win converts through __________ and __________.
11. According to Islams prophet, _________ was the first Muslim and founded of the ____________, which was dedicated to the worship of ____________.
12. The Muslims originally turned toward ________ to pray, but later it was toward __________.
13. The prophet of Islam died in ________ in _________ A.D.
14. The disciples of the prophet believed that the ________, Islams holy book, was preserved in ____________.
15. Name three objects or materials on which Mohammeds words were preserved: ___________, _____________, and ____________.
16. The holy book of Islam contains ______ chapters, each arranged according to _________, with the ________ first.
17. A _______ is one who abandons himself to God completely.
18. Muslim believers go to ________ after death, where they recline on _______, drink living water from a _________, and choose ________ for their pleasure.
19. In Islam, unbelievers go to _______ and eat ______ of the tree of Zahkum, among the everlasting _________.
20. In Islam, _________ was authorized. A man would have up to _____ wives and ________ concubines.
21. To become a Muslim, one must do two things: believe in _________ and believe in his _____________.
22. The two most important Muslim sects are the __________ and the ___________.
23. Muslims do not believe that Jesus _______ on the cross.
24. In Islam, Jesus is known as the prophet _______, but is not considered to be ___________.
25. Mohammed saw Islam as clearing away the __________ of monotheism by Judaism and Christianity.
26. Mohammed only encountered ________ forms of Christianity.
27. According to Daniel-Rops, the rise of Islam may be seen as a divine ___________ on Christianity.
1. Discuss Mohammeds religious experiences.
2. Explain the five Pillars of Islam.