The Church in the Dark Ages Worksheet
chapter ten, pp. 553-574
Fill in the blank
1. In addition to individual baptisms, the Church sought to help in the formation of ___________________ Christians.
2. The __________ of Germany were converted by force, which only sowed hatred of missionaries.
3. The Magyars were converted under the influence of the Duke of Hungary, St. _______________.
4. The efficient cause of the evangelization of ____________ was St. Dombrowska. It became a ____________ of Rome.
5. ___________ was the first Nordic prince known to have received baptism, about _____ A.D. Aided by his wife, ________, he strove to convert the ______________.
6. St. ______________, King of Norway, worked successfully to stamp out ________________.
7. The Scandinavians sent out missionaries to ___________, where they found memories of ancient __________ monks, and founded Christian ____________.
8. ___________ became Christian soon after its discovery in the tenth century. ____________, nicknamed the __________, recruited Christians from Iceland to come there.
9. In northern Spain, the __________ state was the torch of the faith.
10. The Christians of ____________ initiated the ______________, a plan to retake Spain from the Muslims.
11. The ____________ system was extended across Europe. A close network of church ____________ spread over the countryside.
12. Each parish had its head, known as the ______________, but not yet called curatus (or parish _________ ). He was the true and only immediate __________ of his flock.
13. The parish church was the symbol of ____________. It was supported by ____________.
14. On a higher level was the organization of _________. these men had a jurisdiction far beyond the ____________; it included the _____________ (or suburbium).
15. Many bishops were indefatigable _________________.
16. ___________ was perhaps the institution which resisted better than any other the disintegrating activity of feudalism.
17. The abbey had the threefold means of defense: the _________ of the true king, that of the ___________, and, above all, ____________ exemption. The abbey was a bulwark of ___________ and _____________ in the face of the increasing anarchy of the feudal lords.
18. In Rome, some influential clerics, advisors to the ___________, became known as _____________. They consisted of three categories: _________ bishops, __________ priests, and ___________ deacons.
19. Pope _________ in 1059 A.D., conferred the responsibility of choosing future Popes upon the ___________ of __________.
20. About 1000 A.D. ____________ schools in urban centers tended to support _____________ schools.
21. There were few developments in the study of _____________, only the preservation of the past.
22. Church ______________ developed as new types of structures were built.
23. The Church denounced ___________, the plague of the Dark Ages. It was condemned at numerous Church ________________.
24. The Churchs primary purpose was to protect those _____________, ____________, and ___________ folk who could not defend themselves. This was centered on two ideals: The ________ of God and the ___________ of God.
25. The Church began to demand that __________ stop for certain days of the week or times of the year, under threat of ____________________.
26. Since violence could not be exterminated, it was directed towards another object: the ______________. The feudal bandit was turned into a _____________.
27. The Church offered men of _______________ condition a means of rising to the top of society. ___________, as a boy, was a swineherd. _____________ had been a shepherd.
28. The idea of Christian equality before God also induced the Church to fight for the _____________. The Church led a movement to ___________ them. A number of ____________ led by example.
1. Describe the Peace of God.
2. Describe the Truce of God.
3. Discuss the condition of the serfs and what the church did to help.