The Church in the Dark Ages Worksheet
chapter ten, pp. 539-553
Fill in the blank
1. People in the year 1000 A.D. were disturbed by the threat of invasion, and also by a terrible decline in ____________ since the days of ______________. ___________ was rife on badly cultivated land.
2. Yet the enormous mortality rate was offset by a strong ___________ rate.
3. In this time of crisis, men turned to ___________________.
4. ___________ reached its zenith. Feudalism was based on brute ___________, the law of the ___________.
5. _____________, ______________, and ___________ were so commonplace that such risks were provided for in commercial contracts.
6. ____________ immorality was found everywhere. Some kept a regular ________________.
7. The bishops, as feudal ________, often succumbed to violence.
8. The Council of Trosly in 909 A.D. fulminated against the ___________ of priests.
9. At the Council of Pavia in 1023 A.D. denounced the morals of the _________ and declared that all children of priests and monks should be reduced to the status of _________________.
10. At the end of the tenth century, _____________ again emerged and adopted an anti-clerical attitude.
11. A man named ____________ dreamed that a swarm of _______ entered his body and came out of his _______ in the form of _______ words.
12. The heresy of ________, which St. Augustine had fought, reappeared. At orleans in 1022 A.D., a group taught __________ against the established Church; rejection of Christian doctrines such as the ___________, _______________, and _________________; and abandonment of ______________, of the ________________, and of _______________.
13. Religion at the time was riddled with __________________.
14. ____________ were more and more sought after: they were bought and sold, ___________ up, exchanged, and even, if need be, _____________.
15. Everything was seen as a sign or a symbol or threat from ______________.
16. The idea that Christians thought the world was coming to an end in 1000 A.D. is a _______________.
17. Daniel-Rops, writing in 1950 (!), predicted that some in our time would expect the end of the world in ______ A.D.
18. In 989 A.D. the Council of Rome imposed on King Robert a penance of ___ years.
19. List four noble, faithful Christians around the year 1000 A.D.: ______________, __________________, __________________, and __________________.
20. There was a current of _________ water found among the ruling classes in 1000 A.D.
21. Mans voluntary donations to the Church often exceeded the sum total of his feudal ______________ and _______________.
22. The cult of __________ presents an effort to establish contact between ___________ and ______________. And ___________ were worked at their tombs.
23. The institution of _________ shows the vitality of the Christian faith in the Dark Ages. The conversion of the ____________ allowed the faithful to travel by ______, rather than undertake a dangerous _______ voyage. Those taking the trip belonged to every ____________ of society.
24. In addition to Palestine, the faithful journeyed to the city of ________ and the countries of _____________ and _____________.
25. St. ___________ of Bohemia lived in absolute poverty, a precursor to St. ___________ of Assisi.
1. What did faith represent to the average person in 1000 A.D.?
2. Discuss the life of Fulk Nerra.
3. In what ways did Raoul summarize the psychology of Christians in the year 1000 A.D.?